Thursday 1 May 2008

Liar Liar


After today's lecture on lying with integrity , I had a deep and meaningful conversation with my fellow blogger Micheal about the band we are in (The Cubans :) shameful plug). After discussing the new double A single we are releasing (see a pattern emering :P) , it occured to me that lying is so natural, so unconscious that it can easily roll off the tongue. The lying in question involved our musical direction and how I saw things, however truthfully I was hoping for something quite different.

The question is, why did I lie? After the different reasons mentioned in todays lecture, I couldnt pinpoint an exact excuse. I wasn't protecting my friend from any harm, I wasn't ensuring any personal gain or creating any power for myself. I came to realize that sometimes lies are used in a way of creating bonds in conversation, as I agreed with Micheal on many things. Does this mean I am false in my opinions if I altered what I said to what I think? I hope that instead of being a lie, it would be seen as a platform for further conversation on music.

Lying in a more serious manner however can be pinpointed as 'being bad' and for justified reasons. Such as lying to a court when you have commited a serious offense. There is a strong difference to having personal gain from lying and plain hurting someone.

The word 'lie' in my opinion refers to the consequence of a negative action, as when you think of the word lie it comes across in a bad way. However I feel some lies are perfectely justified as long as no one is hurting because of it.

http://www.truthaboutdeception.com/confront_a_liar/public/pathological-compulsive.html

This website gives a great explation of different types of liars, from compulsive through to habitual. However I give you warning, you may never trust anyone.............again

No comments: